20 Years 20 Lessons - Lesson 6 - You Can Have Peace

Peace is a word that is so often taken for granted. You hear people say they would love to see peace and harmony in the world, in our schools in our homes yet they always attach a stipulation to it. It usually sounds something like this “If my husband would just listen to me then we could have peace in our home.” “If the terrorists would just stop killing people then we could have peace in our world.” “If my kids would behave then we could have peace and quiet.” “If they would just see it my way then I could finally have some peace.” If...if...if… Sound familiar?

This has been an extremely difficult lesson to learn and one the I need to be reminded of from time to time. (Okay...all the time!) The lesson - My peace is not dependent on anyone or anything apart from my relationship with God.

We can have peace in the midst of a financial battle.
We can have peace when the spouse, kids, co-workers act up.
We can have peace when the world around us is under attack.
We can have peace when it feels like everyone is against us.
We can have peace when our political party doesn’t win.
We CAN have peace.

The type of peace that I am talking about is internal. Peace in your heart and in your mind. In John 14:27 Jesus says this, “Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives…”.  Too often we find ourselves looking to others and even material things to give us peace in our life.

I wonder how many people play the lottery every week hoping to end of all of their financial woes and then take time dreaming and planning what they will do if they win. When a better use of their time would be to pray and seek God for peace and wisdom on how to handle their current financial situation. When the problems of our life start to make us feel uncomfortable or overwhelmed we look for distractions to take our mind off of our problems. When in reality we should focus our attention on God and what His Word has to say about our current situation. It is in His Word that we will find the peace that we so desperately need.

Sometimes our peace will come from gaining wisdom, increased faith, discernment and so much more. Sometimes God will just touch our minds with a calming and a peace that passes all understanding. (see Philippians 4:7) The bottom line is that we can have peace in all situations if we seek God for it. The things of this world are temporary and will not last. The things of God are the only things that will last forever. Money can’t buy peace. It is something that can only come from having a relationship with Jesus Christ.

I encourage you today if you are unsettled in your Spirit about anything then take some time and seek the Lord. Push passed the feelings that make you uncomfortable and overwhelmed and you will see God on the other side working on your behalf. Then and only then will you have real peace.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Coming Out of the Dark

My Bleeding Heart

I'll Never Be Her Again