Follow Your Dreams

We all have dreams, desires and thoughts that when contemplating their reality we feel a sense of hope unmatched by anything else. The thought of it's fulfillment gives us sense of completion. But just like anything, without God's anointing, it will never fulfill us. I remember the first time I was prophesied over. It was declared I had a calling to evangelize. I wasn't exactly sure what it meant but it resonated strongly within my Spirit and I just knew this was my Jeremiah 29:11 purpose. It felt great to know that my Creator had a specific plan for my life and somehow this prophesy awoke dreams down deep in the depths of my soul that had been dormant for years. I remember being a little girl and dreaming of a grand life and being a part of something greater than myself. I cannot imagine anything more grand than helping others live their best life and leading them to Jesus.

My parents, my extended family and our close friends use to playfully tease me about how much I talked. It is true I can talk circles around anyone...well anyone except my daughter. No one knew it then...but I was born to preach! Mind blowing really - If you had known me in my teen years that would have been the last thing you would have ever thought I'd end up doing. Praise God, I found Jesus! That gabby little girl was just testing out her gift. A gift that was given to be be used to edify the Kingdom of God. However, there was a crossroad in my life where I had a choice to make - I had to choose whether I was going to follow God's calling on my life or not. If I had made the choice to use that gift for the world I would be living a completely different life right now and most definitely that gift would not have the same impact.


We all have choices to make. Those choices lead to consequences good and bad. When God has given you a vision, a desire - a dream that burns deep down inside of you, you must proceed with caution. Because right around the corner is the enemy of your soul waiting to tempt you to use that gift for the world. He will dangle money, popularity and power right in front of you. Even the strongest Christians are faced with temptation but with God we can stay on the right path.

When the possibility that my dream could actually become a reality started to become more vivid I got really excited! Little by little God would reveal things to me and with each revelation I had another choice to make. Was I going to follow my dream? Was I going to follow God? Was I going to continue down the specific path He had laid out before me? Was I going to push through the sometimes difficult journey and continue down this path or was I going to take the easier less fulfilling road?

I've seen so many people give up on their dreams when times get tough, when challenges arise and first attempts fall through. It's definitely not easy. You are left feeling alone, depleted, frustrated and overwhelmed. This comes from firsthand knowledge. I can tell you from experience that following my God given dream has been testing and trying and one of the hardest things I've ever done. Why? Why would following God be so hard? Why would following your dream and using the gift God gave you be so hard? Because the enemy of your soul fights you every step of the way. He hates to see souls won into the Kingdom of God. Remember the bible tells us that we do not fight against flesh and blood but against powers of darkness in the spiritual realm. (see Ephesians 6:12) Even in this there is good news - Jesus got the victory on the cross. In that we can push passed the difficult moments and press on towards the calling God has on our life. Paul said it best when he said, "I press on to reach the end of the race and receive the heavenly prize for which God, through Christ Jesus, is calling us." (see Philippians 3:14) Always remember the things of this world are temporary and we are running a race towards eternal victory...not temporal.


I want to encourage you today to follow your dreams. Whatever that Godly instinct is down deep inside of you seek God how to fulfill it. If you love art, music, dance, writing, singing, acting, preaching, debating, decorating, sports; whatever it is do it unto the Lord. My middle son says he is going to be the first NBA player to also pastor. I said go for it baby mommy’s got your back! My mom is an extremely talented decorator and her home is beautiful, but she also decorates our church and gives others advice on how to make their home beautiful and she does it affordably. We are all different and we have all been given gifts and we have been given those gifts for a reason, don’t be afraid to use them or to follow after the dream of using your gifts in the greatest capacity imaginable. God gave them to you for a reason and that reason is not to sit around and dream about using them but for you to actually use them.


Life is not easy. It does not say even one time in the bible that life is going to be easy and that you will never have any problems. However it does say over and over again that God will never leave you or forsake you. It says He sticks closer than a brother. We all have choices to make and those choices have consequences and those consequences will reflect our choices; good or bad, easy or hard. I have found that the greater the sacrifice the greater the reward. I think that is where most people get hung up; willing or not willing to make the sacrifice. It is scary, I know it is, but it is so rewarding.


Look at Jesus. He knew what He was born to do. He felt the calling at a young age when the bible tells us he was preaching and teaching to the elders. His parents asked what are you doing and He said I am about my Father’s business. (Luke 2:49) He knew the desire that burned down inside of Him. His sacrifice was the greatest one could give, His life, but look at the reward. He made a way for all of us to follow our dreams, live in eternity with Him and have a life of peace and joy regardless of our circumstances.  Don’t sit idly by while your life remains unfulfilled and empty. Follow your dreams, practice using your God given talents for the Lord.


I was watching a YouTube video with Carrie Underwood singing her hit song “Something in the Water” at the grand finale of American Idol. She took a chance all those years ago to follow her dreams and tryout on American Idol and do you think it is a coincidence that Carrie, a Christian, was asked to sing on the finale of that show and that she picked a song to glorify God? I don’t think so either. All of the ridicule she has received for openly proclaiming her faith but she never gave up, she never backed down and look at what God did; He gave her an opportunity to stick it to em (in a good way). Don’t be afraid to follow your dreams. God has your back, just give Him the glory.


Colossians 3:23-24 Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for human masters, 24 since you know that you will receive an inheritance from the Lord as a reward. It is the Lord Christ you are serving.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Coming Out of the Dark

My Bleeding Heart

I'll Never Be Her Again