Love is a Choice

 As Christmas is quickly approaching and we are in the thick of the season I find myself feeling more grinchy than jolly. I work in retail. We've been playing Christmas songs since November 1. The decorations have been up since before Thanksgiving and the shoppers have been less than kind this year. 

I love what I do - I sell diamonds - but I'm reminded every day of how materialistic this world has become. Now don't get me wrong. I love gift giving and receiving just as much as the next person... but for me Christmas is about the love of God and His gift to us... Jesus. And - since this is to be a quick blog post and not a full on theoretical debate I'm keeping it simple. 

While seeking to be in God's presence this morning I stumbled upon something that truly inspired me. Joseph, Jesus' earthly father. This man does not get enough credit in our church Christmas plays, story telling or any other Christmas related activities. This man was pure love. Nothing grinchy about him.

I've always said love is an action not a feeling. Well... God said it first in the book of Corinthians - but I totally agree with Him...lol.

1 Corinthians 13:4-8 Love is patient. Love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no records of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. 

Can any of us live up to this? I strive to even try... but I fail. Do we all want to be loved like this? A million times.... Yes! Can you imagine being loved like this? Being with someone that is patient with you, always kind to you, they never get jealous, they are humble, they are respectful to other people, they don't get mad easily, they don't keep a record of your mistakes and throw them back at you later. They detest sin but get excited and celebrate with you. They love and honor truth and never lie to you. They protect you, trust you, have hope in you and choose to persevere with you. Does such a love exist? Yes... His name is Jesus... but who was Jesus' earthly example? Joseph.

Legally, Joseph could have walked away from Mary. He could have left her to walk the journey of being unwed and carrying a child, alone. But - he didn't. He chose to marry her. He chose to love her and the child she was carrying. He chose to trust that she was carrying the Messiah. He protected them. He cared for them. He chose to honor her and be hopeful for their future. They persevered together. I know it wasn't easy. How could it have been? But look at the blessing that came from Joseph's choice. Joseph was truly an earthly example of love in action. 

As children of God we are called to love others. We don't have to like them. Liking someone is a feeling. Loving them is an action. Thank God...lol... literally for this difference. We have control over our actions but not our feelings. Feelings come and go and no matter what we are "feeling" we can still choose to act in love.

I'm praising God for this reminder. It has definitely helped to put the perspective back on the reason for the season. Even in the midst of the seasonal craziness I can choose love. It's always amazing to me how a little taste of God's Word can fill your heart with so much joy.

I'm feeling a little less grinchy and a lot more lovely.

I encourage you, next time you feel impatient, angry, hangry...haha, prideful, frustrated or simply grinch-like... remind yourself of Joseph. He was human... so if he can walk in love... we can too.

Love,
Amy



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Coming Out of the Dark

My Bleeding Heart

I'll Never Be Her Again