20 Years 20 Lessons - Lesson 2 - Practice Having Faith

Just like when you go to put your bum in that random chair at your favorite restaurant trusting you won’t fall flat on your bum in the middle of the floor humiliating yourself and whoever you are with...you have to put your faith in God and trust you have put it in the right place and He won’t let you fall.

I know...I know...easier said than done...BUT when you look at the amount of faith you put in that piece of wood holding you 2 feet off the ground...doesn’t it make more sense to put even more faith in the ONE that created you???

Imagine that your current trust issue is your bum...stay with me...and the chair is God. Just take that issue and plop it right down on the Lord and leave it there. Boom! If it helps write it down on a sticky note and then stick it to the chair...not the restaurant chair (that’s weird) but a chair in your home. As it sits there resting in place you can imagine putting your faith in God and know that it is resting right where it is supposed to be.

Start small. It is hard to imagine paying off that $10,000 credit card debt all at once but if you chip away at it little by little and don’t add anymore debt to it - eventually it will get paid off. Don’t think about the when...just think about the it “WILL” get paid off.

Practicing having faith is the same thing. Don’t focus on next week focus on right now. God I am trusting you to get me through this moment right now. I’m not going to worry about where I will be and what I will be going through this time next year. I am only going to focus on you and the right now. I trust you can get me through this day. I trust you will meet all of my needs for today. I trust I will not go hungry today. I trust I can be a good mom today. I trust I can be a good spouse today. I trust I can do my job today.

I remember as a young Christian when something would happen that would rattle my circumstances I would throw a fit. You should have seen me. At first I would cry. Then I would call my mom or my pastor or both. I would vent for hours. I would cry some more. I would question God and why this was happening and then after several days of this dramatic routine I would get around to praying. Eventually the situations would get resolved. After reacting to my circumstances like this for way too long I eventually figured out if I prayed and sought God first  then I didn’t have days of wasted time, I didn’t have those horrible headaches from crying for hours and I drew closer to the Lord. My situations also seemed to resolve faster. I learned a lot during the years of practicing having faith. And now I do have faith that can move mountains. We’ll save that for a different blog...a different day.

Little by little as you see God meet the needs in your life you begin to trust Him for bigger things. You begin to find it easier to let go and let God handle the storms of your life. No one ever climbed an entire mountain in one day. It takes time. Start practicing putting your faith into action now and watch it grow.

Mark 10:52  (ESV)
And Jesus said to him, “Go your way; your faith has made you well.” And immediately he recovered his sight and followed him on the way.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Coming Out of the Dark

My Bleeding Heart

I'll Never Be Her Again