Day by Day - Rest in the Lord

Day by day... minute by minute... one breath at a time. This has been my New Year's resolution to myself. With the way my life is going, I couldn't imagine committing myself to anything as crazy as losing 20lbs, buying a house, paying off all my debt or even checking off a fun thing on my bucket list. Don't get me wrong - I'm inspired by all of my friends getting up at 5am and hitting the gym, those committed to getting that promotion this year, planning that dream vacation - but for me - waking up, taking a shower and remembering to brush my teeth means I'm living my best life... LOL.

Okay... okay... it isn't that bad... but some days it sure does feel like it. To put it simply - I'm tired. I'll save you my laundry list of overwhelming life changing events and let you insert your own. I'm sure you have them... but my confession is this - I'm mentally exhausted. 

While laying in bed this morning, telling God why I don't want to get up, go to church, go to work or simply adult - because I'm tired... He gave me this scripture - Matthew 11:28 Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest.

I've read this passage a thousand times. I'm not sure why it never hit me before the way it did today. I can only imagine it is because I haven't been this kind of mentally exhausted before... hard to believe but nevertheless here I am and here is what I learned from this passage.

When I read that scripture this morning, I immediately pictured myself in the arms of Jesus. We were sitting by a river bank, he was holding me, my head on his shoulder and I was resting... actually resting. Suddenly I was overwhelmed with peace in my Spirit. My mind was calm and not racing, my body didn't hurt, I wasn't anxious or ansy... I was simply at peace. During this peaceful moment I heard Him whisper, Cast all your cares upon me because I love you. (1 Peter 5:7) 

It was a lightbulb moment. Don't you love those? Seems so silly at times... something that has been there all along suddenly jumps out at you and you laugh at yourself for not seeing it sooner. Like that phone that was in your hand while you were looking for it or the glasses on top of your head. It dawned on me that I can pray for God to give me the rest I need so I can tackle life's problems one at a time and day by day. It's so easy to allow ourselves to get overwhelmed... but when we learn to rest in God, in His timing and in His ways... we actually free up the mental fog and then we can see clearly how to handle the things we need to take care of or let Him handle them for us. 

When we pray, we are supposed to trust that God is going to answer our prayer. We leave it in his hands. When we throw a rock into the water, we have thrown it away. We aren't expecting it to jump out of the water back into our hands. The same applies here. Cast that care upon the Lord and don't expect for Him to give it back.

I know it's easier said than done... but with practice... I think we can do it. 

Here's a quick prayer we can pray together to help us get through today.

Dear Lord,

I thank you and praise you for all of the blessings in my life. I thank you for all of the things you have delivered me from and for your never ending love, mercy and grace. I pray as I navigate this new season of life, filled with difficulties and pressure that I will be able to keep my focus on you, hear your voice and be obedient to your word. Please help me make the right decisions and choices and protect me as I move forward into unknown territory. Grant me peace and patience as I rest in your loving arms. I love you, in Jesus Name, Amen. 

As always, be encouraged friends. Pray for me and I'll be praying for you.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Coming Out of the Dark

My Bleeding Heart

I'll Never Be Her Again