Walking in God's Favor Part 1

Walking in God’s Favor
Part 1 of 2
My mom and I and sometimes a few others take a little vaca every year to attend a Joyce Meyer's Conference. They always seem to come during that time of year when we need a getaway the most. We always plan to arrive a day or 2 before the conference begins so we can relax a little before the action packed weekend begins. And by relax I mean shop. Ladies, I know you feel me. 😉

I almost didn’t go this year. I got sick the weekend before we were supposed to leave.  I started feeling ill, my stomach was cramping so bad I just wanted to cry. I prayed, Lord if I am getting sick please let it hit me now so I can still go see Joyce Meyer next weekend. Later that night it hit and it hit hard.  I believe God answers our prayers so I don’t know why I didn’t just pray for a miraculous healing. Oh no, the genius that I am, had to pray to go ahead and get sick. There have been a few times I thought God was looking down shaking His head at me, and this time was definitely one of them. I threw up off and on all night, and really by off and on I mean on and on and on. Sorry...TMI...but you needed to know how bad it was, right?

The following morning brought some relief, but I stayed in bed all day. The next day brought even more relief but I was still so weak from being sick and being in the bed that I didn't have the energy to do anything. By this time I was really thinking of calling off our trip. I had not packed or done my usual last minute panic cleanup of the house. I don’t know why but when I go out of town, I go on these major cleaning sprees. I mean really, like I cannot go out of town unless the pantry has been alphabetized or I have defrosted the refrigerator. I know, I should be praying about that instead of getting sick. I had not even done laundry; so therefore I did not have anything clean to pack. My OCD was really kicking in and I was thinking to myself I should just cancel this trip. I hadn't gone to the grocery either...so packing the kids lunches while I was gone wasn't going to happen either. I was a hot mess. I mean I'm usually a mess...but this time I was a hot mess.

I took a moment. Probably what I should have done first...but better late than never and I prayed. I needed strength, peace of mind and some clean clothes. Next, I did what any sensible woman with a forgiving husband would do; I threw a load of jeans in the washing machine and ran to Kohl’s. I slept the rest of the day. Finally the day arrived for our trip. I woke up feeling great! I was healed! I was able to fix breakfast, pack lunches, get the kids on the bus and pack my suitcase all before nine o’clock. I went from pathetic to superstar in zero to sixty! God is good!

I feel it is necessary to share the details leading up to this trip because I believe that sometimes when things like this happen we think it is God’s way of keeping us from doing something that we shouldn't do. We feel like He is intervening to keep us safe or He is trying to teach us something. I felt that way a lot during my many trips to the bathroom or while lying in bed to exhausted to move. But it was also in those moments that I prayed the hardest for God to show me His plan. It was then that God reminded me that I had prayed to get being sick over with so I could go on my trip. He had answered my prayer so He must have really wanted me to go on that trip. Little did I know but He had a HUGE blessing in store for me!

My mom picked me up around 10:30 am and we hit the road. We stopped at the outlet mall along the way and did some shopping, grabbed some mochas and took our time enjoying one another’s company. After a full day of shopping and eating, we got back on the road and headed to our hotel.  We stayed at the most beautiful hotel. There were little shops and restaurants all around us. My mom and I love to shop! But you've probably picked up on that by now...haha. Right outside of our hotel was a very large fountain surround by a small pond. It was peaceful and just what I needed after such a rough week. After we checked in to our room we did some more “browsing” and then we stopped for dinner. It was a great place and I'd recommend it, but I can't remember the name of it. After dinner we really wanted dessert but we didn't have room. My stomach was telling me to take it easy. We decided to come back the next day and have dessert then.

The next day mom and I got up and headed to breakfast. We found the local mall. I know I have a problem but my husband is aware. Therapy would cost more, so he lets me shop. 💓  We left the mall, headed back to that wonderful little restaurant that I still can’t remember the name of and had our dessert. When we left we stopped in front of one of those LOVE signs perfectly placed in front the fountain.  Then we headed back to the hotel to get ready for the first session of the Joyce Meyer conference. This is when the story really gets good.

I feel it is important to share the happenings of our day because if one thing had been different, if we had made a right instead of a left, if the traffic had been heavy, if the dessert had been any bigger; you get it, right? We would have missed one of our biggest blessings from the trip.

Okay so you know those moments you dream about. The ones where you get to meet one of your favorite celebrities? You envision them in your mind and you play out different scenarios over and over again in your head. You think about what you would say, what you would do, who is with you and what you are wearing. I do that all the time. There are a lot of musicians and evangelists I am praying to meet. I imagine what it would be like to meet them and then I think about what we would talk about and how I would make them laugh. Then they would invite me out for dinner. In my thoughts I am always well poised and I am never at a loss for words. All of that mental training did absolutely nothing for me after I ate that delectable dessert. My poor taste buds were completely oblivious to the fact that they tasted the last sweet thing they would consume for a while. The next thing to cross over my tongue would be a bitter mix of words summed up as complete mumbo jumbo; blah, blah, blah, humony, humony, humony baby talk.  The next thing to happen would reveal my true character. The moment I had spent hours rehearsing in my head. I may have even played out a little skit or two when no one was watching; this was the moment everything else was leading up to. I regret to inform you - I failed.

We approached the elevators at the same time as some other guests with their carry on sized luggage in tow. I scooted in the somewhat crowded elevator and encouraged mom to hop in. Looking back, I really am surprised I pushed my way in. It sounds crazy, but it was like this magnet was pulling me into this elevator. Mom, standing on the outside looking in, oblivious as to whom she was looking at, was seriously having second thoughts about getting in. I said come on, there is room, and one of the guys nodded in confirmation. She got on, the doors shut and that is when it happened. I looked across from me at the very tall, rocker clothed gentleman and felt something familiar. I then looked to his right and saw another familiar gentleman and then looked to my immediate right at the man standing beside me and I blinked a couple of times in disbelief. I looked back at the tall guy and he did this funny raised eyebrow almost affirmative, like yes you just saw what you thought you saw kind of look, and he smiled. I then looked back to my right and yes, yes it was him - Matt Redman!  Now for some of you, this may seem like poppy cock; but for me, Matt Redman is like the Elvis Presley of Praise and Worship. I would rather meet him, than anybody, except for maybe Joyce Meyer herself.

My heart raced, I instantly became clammy. I felt weak in the knees, and I just knew I was going to pass out. The only word, and I mean the only word I could say was “Jesus”.  I sounded like the resounding gong mentioned in the book of Corinthians.  “Jesus, Jesus, Jesus”. I dipped up and down while repeating the beloved Savior’s name. I leaned up against the elevator wall to keep from falling over, and Matt, well he was cornered with nowhere to go. He looked completely mortified like he was about to be kidnapped. Jorge, Matt’s best friend, my new buddy and a phenomenal singer was standing in the middle of the elevator doubled over in laughter. I am not sure if it was the crazy lady singing Jesus, or the horrified look on his best friend’s face that did it, but none the less, he offered some comic relief to my poor mother. She had never seen me at a loss for words. 

Honestly, I do not think I have ever been at a loss for words. I can never say that again. She looked at Matt, and said, “We come to see Joyce Meyer every year and this really is a big deal for her. She is a huge fan.” That was an understatement, but good try mom. She was looking at me still questioning whether or not she should claim me at all. Matt's entire countenance changed and his smile then lit up the elevator. I was able to get out of my mouth “Praise Jesus, thank you Jesus” and then I think I mumbled something that sounded like picture. When they all agreed, I was so excited I did not think to wait and get off the elevator and take the picture in the hallway, oh no, I jumped over their luggage and snuggled down in between, sexy bass player (cause I never got his name) and Matt. Jorge on the end, still smiling with those amazing pearly whites. The picture came out blurry because mom was getting hit by the elevator doors opening and closing. Poor thing, I never did ask her if she wanted to have her picture taken.  It really was one of those once in a lifetime moments. I will never forget it and I will always cherish it. Out of all of the hotels, all the elevators, all the people attending that conference, I ended up in the one with this amazing band. Blessed doesn’t even seem to come close to the excitement I felt. And it wasn’t even so much that is was Matt, I mean I am married and so in love with my husband, it wasn’t like that at all, but I am the biggest fan of his music. It was more the fact that God knew how much that would mean to me and He ordered my footsteps to line up so perfectly that day that this moment would happen. The steps of a righteous man are truly ordered by God.

Blessings continued to follow us that weekend and we ran into Matt's band several times. They always took a few minutes to chat with us and I finally got myself composed enough to apologize for my elevator behavior. They just smiled and said, “No need to apologize”. They were all true, humble men of the Lord. I carry that moment in my heart with me and it serves to remind me just how much God loves me. 

This is just part one of this extraordinary weekend. The weekend is far from over and God continued to bless us. I can't believe I almost made the choice not to go on this trip. 
Let me just encourage you in this today...God loves you...and He wants to bless you! Remember to let Him lead you...even if you think there is no way this will work out...He can do anything!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Coming Out of the Dark

Dating Chronicles: What Do You Bring to the Table?

Lessons Learned: Do What You Love - Just Don't Do This